Driving Advisement Program
Weldon Rehabilitation Hospital has developed a coordinated program to assess a driver’s ability to drive safely.
Our program evaluates:
- Vision and perception
- Physical status
- Reaction time
- Traffic sign/situation identification and interpretation
- Cognition — including problem solving, attention and memory
- Adaptive equipment
The Driving Advisement Program begins with a clinical evaluation completed by a licensed and registered occupational therapist. Upon completion of evaluation, results and appropriate recommendations will be discussed with you and your physician.
Our program may recommend:
- An ophthalmology evaluation to further evaluate visual accuracy and/or peripheral vision.
- An on-road evaluation and/or training, completed in conjunction with a licensed driving instructor, scheduled at a later date.
- Adaptive equipment specialized to accommodate physical disabilities.
- A road-competency test mandated and completed through the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
- Abstaining from operating a motor vehicle; alternative community transportation will be discussed.
The importance of obtaining an evaluation and/or notifying the Registry of Motor Vehicles:
Both the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and State of Connecticut require drivers to inform the Registry of Motor Vehicles/Department of Transportation if they have a medical condition that they believe may affect their ability to operate a motor vehicle.
How to receive an evaluation:
Obtain a prescription from your physician stating “occupational therapy evaluation for functional community mobility” and include a medical diagnosis. This is mandatory for insurance coverage.
Call the Outpatient Admitting Office, Weldon Rehabilitation Hospital, at 413-748-6880 to schedule an evaluation.
The Driving Advisement Evaluation will take approximately one hour to complete. A family member may accompany you to the evaluation.
Please bring the following to the appointment if applicable:
- Driver’s License
- List of medical history and prescription medications
- Any prior correspondence from the Registry of Motor Vehicles
Please call the Weldon Rehabilitation Hospital outpatient Admitting Office, 413-748-6880, for further questions or to schedule an evaluation.